살다보면 조금 귀찮더라도 안전한 방법을 택하는 것이 현명할 때가 있다.
안그러면 나중에 정말 골치아파질 수도 있기때문이다.
- A 도로는 번화가이고, B 도로는 어두침침한 길이라면, 조금 오래걸리더라도 A도로를 택하는 것이 낫다.
- 감기걸린 친구의 키보드를 만졌다면 빨리 손을 씻는게 낫다.
- 친구들이랑 차를 빌려서 여행을 갔다면,돈이 조금 더 들더라도 보험을 들어놓는게 낫다.
Better (be) safe than sorry
You should be cautious—if you are not, you may regret it.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Careful there, sir. Better safe than sorry. (Bartok The Magnificent)
- Well, as Mother used to say, “It’s better to be safe than sorry. “ (Alfred Hitchcock Presents)
- Okay, call me cautious if you want to, but better safe than sorry (Ernest Saves Christmas)
- Quite likely, nothing will happen, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. (Dante’s Peak)
- A:I ain’t risking it, not with her. B:Yeah, either way, better to be safe than sorry. (Call the Midwife)
- “You can either trust the industry and wait until the scientific dust settles, or you can decide that it is better to be safe than sorry.” (NYT)
- It has invoked the “precautionary principle”, which is a fancy term for a simple idea: better safe than sorry. (Economist)
- “I’d rather be safe than sorry,” Makara said about the insurance she bought for her two dogs. “It’s worth it.” (Bloomberg)
- Its always better to be safe than sorry….so lets prepare.
- Before I make a decision I think about all the worst possible things that could happen, better safe than sorry.
- If you are even slightly unsure if a food is #glutenFree don’t eat it. It’s better to be safe than sorry #Travel
[Meta & Context]
Is it a slang? NoCan I use it in the email? : YesCan I use it in the formal setting?: YesFrequency: 클리쉐라서 대화나 소설에서는 자주나오지만, 같은 이유로 에세이같은데서는 가급적 안쓰는 것이 좋다.