가끔씩 대화를 하다보면 주제나 핵심에서 벗어난 이야기가 나올 때가 있다.
- (이성친구와 싸울 때) A: 너 날 사랑하긴 하니 B: 응.근데 지금 그게 중요한게 아니잖아
- (누군가를 고용할 떄) 사장: 그 친구 순해보이던데. 사장2 : 그 친구 착하긴하지.근데 그게 중요한게 아니잖아. 걘 실력이 안돼
이처럼 “핵심에서 벗어난 것”을 어떻게 묘사할까?
beside the point
[Definition] to be in no way connected to the subject that is being discussed
- Ian’s a nice guy but that’s beside the point. He doesn’t have the right experience for the job.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- POLICE OFFICER: Do you think I’m an idiot? FLETCHER: Yes — but that’s beside the point! My license actually is in my other pants, and they actually were hanging from a credenzaJ I wouldn’t lie to you! I mean, I would if I could, but I can’t! (Liar Liar)
- A: But, George, you don’t play. B: Madam, that is entirely beside the point! (Mary Poppins)
- A: Not if they vote in local option gambling. And they will. B:That’s beside the point. (Godfather Part III)
- SEBASTIAN: How many tissue samples have we successfully regressed? Hundreds, right? How many have gone on to work on the full system? None. SARAH: That s beside the point. (Hollow Man)
- MIRANDA: What did you set on fire to wind up here? JENNA: Very perceptive, Doc. I burnt down the building where I worked. I found a baby at the doorstep, called the cops — of course the bottom feeding pricks never showed. It’s beside the point, really. (Gothika)
예문에서 볼수 있듯이, 보통 주제에서 벗어난 얘기를 하거나/들으면 “that’s beside the point”라고 말할 수 있다.
밑의 [From News]섹션에서는 “beside the point”를 형용사처럼 쓰는데 이런 경우에는 또 어떻게 쓰이는지 주의깊게 봐보자.
- Critics of global capitalism often claim that, when it comes to helping the poor, growth is beside the point. (Economist)
- The fact it’s a hybrid almost becomes beside the point. (Bloomberg)
- That these plans are a catastrophically bad model for providing health care was beside the point. (NYT)
- who said i wanted that? It’s beside the point anyway
- People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear even when it’s beside the point .
- 3 years ago, I ended up getting tickets but that’s beside the point. I remember being so heart broken