image source: www.how-to-negotiate.com
인생을 살다보면 누군가가 너무 당연한 말을 주구장창 늘어놓을 때가 있다. 두뇌가 싹 닫히는 느낌이 들게끔 말이다.그런데 가끔은 반대로 내가 하는 말이 다른 누군가에게 그렇게 들릴 수도 있다.
그러나 중요한 토픽이라 반복의 위험성이 있어도 다시한번 강조해야 내용이라면…? 한국어로는 “내가 계속 같은 말해서 미안한데…” 라는 표현으로, 소위 “실드”를 칠 수 있는데,
영어로는 이와 비슷한 느낌을 어떻게 표현할까? “Not to belabor this point, but it’s really important you follow the instruction”
- to spend too much time on one item of discussion.
보통 이 표현은 부정으로 많이 쓰인다.I’m not going to belabor this point, but..
- I don’t want to belabor the point, but I arranged for a manservant last year who proceeded to ruin two housemaids just like that. (Last Station)
- Son, I don’t wanna belabor the point, but the clicker shoe thing was very important to your sister. (Parenthood)
- Not to belabor the point, but we’re running out of time. (Person of Interest)
- No need to belabor the point. We’re trying to understand what happened. The treating Resident told me the x-ray was clear. (ER)
- He was a master of spin, and Schiff never has to belabor the point to bring out the parallels with present-day Washington. (Bloomberg)
- The list can go on, but I’ll not belabor the point. Basically, it’s hard to get a job in the modern world when you’re a lousy human being (Economist)
- I don’t want to belabor the point, but giving out awards makes the givers feel good. (NYT)
- Do u ever get those professors that just belabor the point? They explain somethin in a 2-page email tht could be summed up in 2 sentences.
- I don’t want to belabor the point, but if you don’t like sports Twitter, might I suggest unfollowing all men
- We hate to belabor the point, but dogs are pretty awesome! 22 more reasons to love and adopt them.
- Now I’m not going to belabor this point, but studies do show that, as investors, women are much less prone to taking reckless risks than men.
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? Yes
- Can I use it in a email? Yes
- Can I use it in a formal setting? No