“저번주부터 컴퓨터 서버가 작동되고 있어”를 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
- The server has been running since last week
- operational, in operation
be up and running는 한국어로 의역하면 “작동하다”라는 뜻이다.
그렇다고 작동하는 모든 사물에 이 표현을 쓰면 조금 웃기다. 예를들어, my eletronic toothbrush is up and running이라는 문장은 어색하기 짝이 없다. 왜일까? 그 이유를 알아보기전에, 우선 이 표현과 자주 쓰이는 어떤 명사부터 알아보자.
- the business is up and running
- the system is up and running
- the server is up and running
- the site is up and running
- the program is up and running
- the network is up and running
- the database is up and running
- the service is up and running
- We should be up and running in, say, six to nine months. (Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa)
- You just get the machine up and running. (Monsters Inc.)
- They’ve come to see you. lf you impress them, if you do what l know you can,… ..this movement will be up and running by tomorrow. (Believer)
- With enough zoos up and running, we are talking billions. (Fierce Creatures )
- Yeah, l’ll fiix that. lt’s a work in progress. l’ll have it up and running in no time. (Save The Last Dance)
- New Denver Airport Up and Running, But the Takeoff Is None Too Smooth. (NYT)
- A groundbreaking computerised forest-protection system is up and running. (Economist)
- London Subway Up and Running Again as Latest Tube Strike Ends (Bloomberg)
- This is a pretty affordable, reliable grill. Get one up and running for Labor Day!
- The new stadium website is up and running
- Good morning! The [soccer] season is well and truly up and running! #MCFC
- and it needs special care, TLC, to keep it up and running,
- So, he had to focus each tube just to get the memory up and running,
- was up and running, brokering deals
- that has to keep the website up and running 24⁄7.
- was up and running within weeks.
- is needed to get the machines back up and running.
- up and running, and I’ve clocked these animals generating
- Adam: Yeah, I remember I came in late to the show and they were already up and running
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No.
- Can I use it in an email? Yes.
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes.
- Frequency? A LOT
20세기 중간부터 점점 많이 쓰이기 시작하는 것을 볼 수 있다. image source: Google Ngram