“A가 B와 “정말 많이/완전” 다르다” 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
- very different
- really different
- completely different
- totally different
등 “밍밍한” 표현들만 떠오른다면 ..
오늘의 표현이 아주 유용할 것이다.
a far cry
거리가 너무 멀어지면 그림처럼 소리를 질러야한다.
이렇게 크게 소리질러야할만큼 멀어진 거리를 “far cry”라고 부르는데,
이처럼 “거리가 너무 멀어진” 그래서 이제는 너무 “달라진” 어떤 것을 묘사할 때 이 표현을 자주 빌려쓴다.
- [Definition] very different from something
- X is a far cry from Y
형태로 쓰인다. 그렇기 때문에 far cry 로 외울 것이 아니라 아예 “be a far cry from” 형태로 외우길 바란다.
- Well, gents, it’s a far cry from the farm, but what choice do we have? (Shrek)
- The place is far cry from Vanger’s manor. It’s modern. (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
- But I was a far cry from the Geisha I had once been. (Memoirs Of A Geisha)
- Seems like you’re doing pretty well for yourself. It’s a far cry from all those years you spent in the gutters eating rats. (Angel)
- We compromised his original disposal site, but this is a far cry from the desert. (Criminal Minds)
- Pasok in recent polls would have about 5 percent of the vote, a far cry from the 45 percent that Mr. Papandreou won in 2009. (NYT)
- Ms. Wong’s work as an artist and performer is a far cry from her parents’ expectations, which she described in a speech to U.C.L.A. graduates this summer as “1. Doctor. 2. Doctor. 3. Physician.” (NYT)
- he elections which followed were a far cry from the happy experience of 2012. (Economist)
- Housos bogan Shazza is a far cry from the real life Elle Dawe who plays her
- Tonight’s view is a far cry from the barley fields we woke up to!
- Today in 1984, the first Apple Macintosh arrived, and it was a far cry from the Apple products of today…