이번주 금요일에 친구들과 뭉치기로 일주일 전부터 약속이 되어 있었는데, 당일 오후 다들 일이 생겨서 못 나온단다.약속된 불금을 이렇게 취소하는 친구들의 행동을 영어로 어떻게 표현할까? All my friends bailed out on me
- to abandon a situation; to get out of something.
- to rescue someone or something from trouble or difficulty.
1> 위 예문처럼 자동사로 쓰일 경우, bail out 는 원래 “추락하는 비행기에서 낙하산타고 탈출하다”의 의미를 가지고 있다. 그렇기 때문에 친구들의 행동은 “마치 추락하는 비행기를 버리고 탈출 하는 것”과 비슷하게 볼 수 있다.
- my best friend bailed out on me
타동사로 쓰일 경우 “someone을 위기에서 구출하다” 의 의미로 쓰인다.
- (when my company was financially struggling,) my best friend bailed me out with economic aid.
- It’s due tomorrow. Tomorrow? Well, that’s too bad, mister. I’m not gonna bail you out this time. (The Simpsons)
- You bailed on me. - Did you hear me? – I was all by myself! For three whole hours. The next time you make a promise, try and keep it! (Devil’s Advocate)
- Haley got arrested for drinking. We gotta go bail her out. (Modern Family)
- Well, that’s a bit of luck, being bailed out like that at the last minute! (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service)
- The last time I tried to hook you up, you bailed out. This is good, and the fact that you initiated it yourself, that’s important. (Just Like Heaven)
- In the 1990s it[IMF] persuaded most of 15 former Soviet nations to adopt tight budgets, saved Mexico after its peso crisis, and bailed out South Korea and much of Southeast Asia. (Bloomberg)
- At one point, I wrote a goodbye scene to show how my hard-drinking, cowboy daddy had bailed out on me when I hit puberty (NYT)
- How America bailed out the banks rather than its citizens. (Economist)
- I really wish some of my friends wouldn’t bail out on me all the time
- 5 different people this week have bailed on me
- this is abt a guy i met who was 23 with a 10pm curfew & bailed on me one night bc his mum made lasagne for dinner
- and will fail unless it is bailed out.
- That when it comes to the rich, we’ll bail out
- really went into fixing the past, bailing out the banks, the car companies,
- Will the bailout work? We have national debt, Detroit,
- So if you look at this in the context of visualizing the bailout,
- to fund and bail us out.
- with which we talk about trillion-dollar bailout here, and trillion there,
- They bail out as soon as they get to the top of Saint Ivo,
- or bail out an investment bank.
- whether it’s a bailout, an oil spill,
- they were discussing the bailout package —
META & CONTEXT
- Is it a slang? No
- Can I use it in a email? Yes
- Can I use it in a formal setting? Yes
- Frequency? A lot