살다보면 까먹지 말아야할 것들이 있다.
- 창업한 회사가 아무리 야심찬 계획이 있어도, 결국엔 빠른 시간안에 이윤을 내야하고
- 학생이 방과후 활동을 많이해도, 결국 좋은 학교를 가려면 좋은 성적을 받아야하고
- 우리가 이것 저것 하면서 치열하게 사는 이유도 결국에는 더 행복해지기 위해서이다
위의 줄친 “결국에는“은 영어로 어떻게 표현할까? 특히 회화에서?
Ultimately (궁극적으로) 를 사용해도되지만, 조금 딱딱하고 / 너무 드라마틱한 느낌이 없잖아 있다. Ultimately 보다 미국사람들이 회화할 때 특히 자주쓰는 표현이 있는데…
at the end of the day
- [Definition] when everything else has been taken into consideration.
- GLEN At the end of the day, this is why I’m glad to be single. (Tamara Drewe)
- At the very least, they believe it’s in our best interest. And at the end of the day, they may end up being right. (Thirteen Days)
- They put me out front to discourage the weak-hearted, but at the end of the day I go home. How’d you kids do ? (Starship Troopers)
- And at the end of the day one guy loses and the other guy wins. (Margin Call)
- Happiest people in the world stink like hell at the end of the day. (Bruce Almighty)
- What we found at the end of the day was that culturally we’re very different. (Bloomberg)
- You see, at the end of the day, unless you have vision and passion you will never grow the company. (Economist)
- I think at the end of the day, the game is bigger than any of us,” he said. (NYT)
- This is my family. We may be a little broken at times, but at the end of the day, we’re family
- At the end of the day we all just want to be happy, live stress free and have someone to comfort you and not worry about anything.
- Do what makes you happy because at the end of the day, you live with your decisions, no one else.