Albert: 나 맥도날드 버거 사먹으러 갈꺼야. 너도 먹을래?
Rachel: 응 괜찮아. 나는 안먹을래.
Albert: 아 그래? 그래도 그냥 따라와~ <–
여기서 “그래도 그냥 따라와~” 를 영어로 어떻게 할까?
Just come, though! 라고 할수 있겠다.
하지만 “본 목적(햄버거를 사먹는) 이 아닌, 그냥 따라오는 것 자체에 의미를 두는 ” 뉘앙스를 좀더 구체적으로 어떻게 표현할까?
along for the ride
- [Definition] 1) to join in an activity without playing an important part in it; 2) involved only for the enjoyment of it
- My husband is speaking at the dinner and I’m just going along for the ride.
** 위 motivation에서는 come along for the ride 라는 구체적인 예를 썼지만, 상황에 따라서 go along for the ride, come along for the ride, be along for the ride등으로 쓸 수 있다
- You being the boss with all the worries, me just along for the ride. (Italian Job)
- you along for the ride or am I dropping you somewhere? (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)
- Kit accused me of only being along for the ride,while at times I wished he’d fall in the river and drown, so I could watch. (Badlands)
- It’s always a good idea to have a doctor along for the ride. (Cider House Rules)
- All you need to know is that you’re just along for the ride. (Miami Vice)
- See if our new allies want to come along for the ride. (Battlestar Galatica)
- Couldn’t she just come along for the ride? (Hilary And Jackie)
- The dynamics of water control the climate; CO2 is along for the ride, with little or no influence.
- He is demanding that claims be justified and may drag his old company along for the ride. (Economist)
- Dr Sabeti realised that a gene which is being favoured by selection will drag its neighbours along for the ride, meaning that the block it is in will be longer than the statistics of random mixing would predict. (Economist)
- Flight attendants are not merely “along for the ride,” nor are they glorified waitstaff – though these days there isn’t much glory to be had all round. (Economist)
- It’s alright being a background kinda guy though. Sometimes you get to come along for the ride
- We’re just lucky enough to come along for the ride. Great effort out there.
- NASA uses this extreme environment to train astronauts and aquanauts, and last year, they invited us along for the ride.
- And after all, we are our brains. My brain is talking to your brain. Our bodies are hanging along for the ride, but my brain is talking to your brain
- Now, when it’s a great movie, you’re along for the ride.
자동차가 일상인 미국문화에서 파생된 재미있는 표현 같다.
운전을 하는 사람은 어떤 목적지를 향해서 직접 방향을 선택하지만, “라이드를 받는 승객”은 운전자가 움직이니까 거기에 따라 움직이는 그림을 생각하면 along for the ride의 의미와 뉘앙스를 확실하게 이해할수 있다. 밑의 여자의 얼굴표정 참고.
I am just along for the ride