맥주 한잔, 아님 두잔 마실까? 를 영어로 어떻게 할까?
Let’s grab a couple of beers! 라고 할수 있겠다.
그런데 이문장은 엄밀히 말해서 “2잔 이상 마시자” 의미를 내포하고있다.
엄밀히 말해서 “한잔마시자, 그런데 두잔도 마셔도 되고”라는 의미를 표현하려면 어떻게 할까?
A something or two: 하나 또는 둘
**저런 구조를 가진 표현중 “a thing or two”는 특별한 의미를 가지고 있다.
A thing or two: practical skills and knowledge learnt through experience
- My uncle grew up on a farm and knows a thing or two about looking after animals.
- She thinks she knows everything about raising children, but I could tell her a thing or two.
[예동 – 예 동영상]
- with a book or two and a reason why they’re linked to TED.
- And it was followed a year or two later
- than our systems a decade or two ago.
- can read a novel or two a day.
- It should be on the market within a year or two.
- hoping to catch a rat or two,
- except maybe a word or two.
- And after a second or two, carefully reflecting,
- help us save a galaxy or two.
- spent a day or two researching.
- So, here’s what I think: You should take this plan, kick it around for a week or two. Sleep on it. Turn it over in your head. (Oceans Eleven)
- but you forget about it in a day or two (Pulp Fiction)
- We are going to have you eating solid food in a day or two. (Breaking Bad)
- I got a bunch of jokes you’re gonna love in a year or two. (Two and a Half Men)
- Hi, l’m with State Farm. l have a question or two about your mother’s insurance policy. (Four Brothers)
- We could learn a thing or two from the Fern Mayos, couldn’t we? (Jawbreaker)
- From Artisans to You, With a Click or Two (NYT)
- If the current outbreak were to end in a month or two, then another outbreak in West Africa will follow … (Economist)
- Some allow recent graduates to stay in the first category for a year or two after getting their diploma (NYT)
- We’re gonna do what lovers do, we’re gonna have a fight or two, but I ain’t ever changing my mind.
- Just want to go away somewhere hot for a week or two.
- Guys who is going to the game Sunday? ie, lets celebrate with a beer or two.
예문을 보면 알겠지만, 이 표현은 보통 시간과 자주 쓰인다
- a month or two
- a week or two
- a year or two
- a decade or two