“그런 아이디어는 흔해 빠졌어”
“너같은 남자/여자 흔해 빠졌거든”
등 을 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
There are many ideas like that.
There are many boys/girls like you.
로 말할수 있지만, 이 표현은 effective하지 않다. 왜냐하면 “흔해 빠지다”에 내포되어있는
‘별로 가치가 없다’ 라는 부정적인 느낌이 상실되었기 때문이다.
이런 의미를 잃지 않고 효과적으로 어떻게 표현할까?
a dime a dozen :
Definition: abundant; cheap and common.
- There are many ideas like that. -> Ideas are a dime a dozen.
- There are many boys/girls like you. -> Boys/girls like you are a dime a dozen.
dime하나(a dime) 로 12(a dozen)개를 살수있을만큼 가치가 없는..
[From Movies & TV shows]
- I’m just a dime-a-dozen research scientist from the Everglades! (The Amazing Spider-Man)
- People like Charlie are a dime a dozen. (Black Rain)
- Shelton was a spy or- Spies are a dime a dozen. I’m a spy. (Law Abiding Citizen)
- Well, you’re a dime a dozen. I can’t tell you how many banjo playing, cheese makers I’ve been with. (Back-up Plan)
- We need a top writer. - Press agents are a dime a dozen. I want an established sportswriter, you understand? (Harder They Fall)
- I know Engineers are a dime a dozen so what could I do to stand out? (Economist)
- ANTI-corruption laws and regulations are a dime a dozen in China.(Economist)
- I won’t fight over a man. They are a dime a dozen.
- Fake friends are a dime a dozen; don’t waste your time with people who don’t push you to be the best you can be.
[From Famous People]
- Ideas are a dime a dozen. People who implement them are priceless. -Mary Kay Ash
- Good ideas are a dime a dozen, bad ones are free. -Doug Horton
앞에 부정관사 “a” 가 항상 붙는다. “A dime a dozen”
Writers are dime a dozens. (X)
Writers are a dime a dozen. (O)