우리는 정말 바쁜 세상에서 산다.
“할 것이 진짜많아서 바쁜 상태” 를 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
I am busy 라고 표현 할수 있지만,
오늘은 이 느낌을 좀 더 생생하게 전달하는 3가지 표현 를 짚고 넘어가겠다.
[Phrase & Examples]
- Not because I have too much on my plate already, I decided to restart Gossip Girl and 90210. (Twiiter)
- I just I have too much on my plate. (Hannah Montana)
- I could go talk some sense into him, but I got too much on my plate (Grey’s Anatomy)
- Ms. Trump insists that plunging a finger into so many pies will not distract her from her primary (NYT)
- Freelance work means one might keep one’s finger in too many pies/pots. Now missing finger and looking at yet another pie. (Twitter)
- lawyers have the greedy little fingers in as many pies as they can. (Economist)
이 맛 저 맛 다 알아볼려고 손부터 파이에 넣는 형상을 따서 이 표현이 나왔다. 사전적 의미는 “to be involved in too many things”
- The police are trying to regain control, but we’re spread too thin (The Legend of Korra)
- The nursing staff’s already spread too thin. (Teen Wolf)
- We’re spread too thin for that kind of individual attention. (Win Win)
이것 저것 다 “잡으려고” 몸이 얇아지는 웃긴 형상을 본따 이 표현이 나왔다.
사전적 의미는 “to do so many things at one time that you can do none of them well.”
바쁜 것은 좋지만 그것이 과하면 독이 될수있다. 이런 고질적 바쁨은 어떻게 보면 focus의 문제와 직결되는데(바쁘게 자신이 만들었으므로), 이에 대해 스티브잡스는 이렇게 말했다.
“People think focus means saying yes to the thing you’ve got to focus on. But that’s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I’m actually as proud of the things we haven’t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things.”
— Steve Jobs
마치며 바쁘신 와중에도 DET구독을 감사드린다.