- 상사가 40장짜리 리포트를 하루만에 작성해오라고 할 때
- “날 진정으로 사랑하면…”이라고 말하며 연인이 무리한 부탁을 할 때
- 친구가 보증을 써달라고 부탁할 때
- 이미 되살리기 힘들게 되어버린 무언가를 (그림, 에세이, 디자인, 프로그램, 조직, 문화 등) 을 고쳐달라고 하는 부탁을 받을 때
- [Definition] a request that is difficult to fulfill.
- A: Six personnel trucks and a Humvee. B: Wow. That’s a tall order for a secret operation, sir. (Three Kings)
- NADINE: And when you need this? MACEO:Tonight. NADINE: (considers) That’s a tall order. MACEO: It’s got to happen. (Honeydripper)
- Oh, that could be a tall order. I doubt that Drew’s anxious to see you face-to-face. (Meet Joe Black)
- A: Go back to the main line and try and cross the frontier. B: That’s a bit of a tall order. (The Lady Vanishes)
- A:Will you try to be happy? B: That’s a tall order, Mom. (Evening)
- A Tall Order for McDonald’s New Chief (Bloomberg)
- IT ALWAYS looked like a tall order. (Economist)
- “To be honest, that’s a pretty tall order.” (NYT)
- Can everybody please just agree to try to calm their autism for the day? I know this is a tall order but I believe in you.
- Asking attendees to #brainstorm new ideas can be a tall order. Create an atmosphere that inspires creativity
- Asking Hampton to beat Kentucky is a tall order. An order so tall, it actually starts for Kentucky.
- Sounds like a tall order, right?
- surely a tall order.
- That’s a tall order. We have to work at it.
query: “a tall order”
Source: Davies, Mark. (2008-) The Corpus of Contemporary American English: 450 million words, 1990-present. Available online at http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/.