무언가를 설명할 때, 말하다 보면 설명하고자 하는 것이 한 단어로 요약할 때가 있는데, 그럴 때 자주 쓰이는 표현이 있다.
X, if you will.
- [Definition] So to speak, like; used to indicate that a description is not standard.
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- An instant refugee city, if you will, for as far as the eye can see. (Independence Day)
- We are DOO-DOO. Doo-doo on a stick, if you will. (Bamboozled)
- What is this? It’s a philosophy. A poetics. A politics, if you will. (Henry Fool)
- It now sounds a lot harsher, angrier if you will. (Scream 3)
- The highest level, “master thieves,” if you will, is a very small world. (Ocean’s Twelve)
[Video] * 비디오를 보면 정확하게 뉘앙스를 알 수 있습니다 *
- Call it a movement if you will.
- This is one of about 70 very similar shots… An artistic series if you will
- A different “angle”, if you will, of yesterday’s photo.
- It simply provides them with a view of looking at the world and the people in it, a way to organize life, if you will. (Economist)
- “Things to Come” is an unusual picture, a fantasy, if you will, with overtones of the Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon comic strips.
- I was just making the point (playing Devil’s Advocate if you will) (Economist)