인생을 살면서 장점을 부각시켜야할 때가 참 많다.
- 리포트를 제출해야한다던지..
- 자기소개서를 써야할때라던지..
- 누구를 소개시켜줘야할때라던지..
이런상황에서, 동료한테 “장점만 부각시켜서 말해야 해”고 어떻게 말할까?
We need to….
- highlight merit..?
- emphasize the good things..?
- focus on our strengths..?
다 말된다. 하지만 저 셋 모두 밍밍하고 생기가 없다. 직접 말해보라, 얼마나 딱딱한지..
좀더 재미있고, 미국적인 표현이 있으니…
We need to put a positive spin on this!
put a positive spin :
- [Definition] : to twist a report or story to one’s advantage; to interpret an event to make it seem favorable or beneficial to oneself or one’s cause.
- The mayor tried to put a positive spin on the damaging polls.
“Remember these guys are our bosses — put a positive spin on everything!”
[From Movies & TV Shows]
- Thought we’d put a positive spin on things. (Sunshine Cleaning)
- And maybe put a positive spin on what is decidedly a PR nightmare. (Virtuosity)
- You know, dad, I got to say, I’m having a tough time sitting here listening to you try to put a positive spin on this. (Parenthood)
- If you find out something that’s really bad, just try to put a positive spin on it. (Desperate Housewives)
- Commander, if you can’t put a positive spin on our arresting a murderer, I got to wonder if it might be time for you to move on. (The Closer)
- North Korea put a positive spin Saturday on the visit of its special envoy to China, but made no mention of China’s push for the North to resume negotiations aimed at ridding the country of its nuclear weapons program. (NYT)
- Red Wings Coach Mike Babcock put a positive spin on the game despite his team’s deflating two-game slide.
- So tired of peeps trying to put a positive spin on the weather..it’s not “nice”, it’s not “fresh”…it is JULY and it’s COLD. I want SUMMER!
- We’re always trying to put nice words and put a positive spin on things…
– positive spin 만 외울것이 아니라, “Put a positive spin” (PAPS) 을 통째로 외워야한다.
– 비디오에서 볼수 있듯이 put a positive spin 이외에 “put a ADJECTIVE spin”의 형태로 좀더 일반적으로도 쓸수 있다.
오늘은 미국 사람들이 입에 붙이고 다니는 표현들 중 하나인 along the lines of/ along those lines 을 다루어보고자 한다.
이 두 표현의 사전적인 의미는 사실 간단하다.
- along the lines of : similar in type
- along those lines : similarly; in nearly the same way
하지만 이런식으로 익히면 이 표현이 어떤상황속에서, 어떤 뉘앙스로 쓰이는지 절대 알수 없다.
이번 기회에 이 표현이 어떻게 쓰이는지, 상황별 분석을 통해 확실하게 익히자.
이 표현은 크게 4가지 상황속에서 쓰인다.
along the lines of
- 상대방의 의견을 젠틀하게 반대할 때
- 길게 설명하는 것보다, 대화체나 인용구를 사용하여 요약하는 것이 더 편할 때
along those lines
- 맞장구 쳐주면서 대화에 참여할 때
- “~ 와 비슷한 것”을 말할 때
자 그럼, 하나씩 자세하게 짚고 넘어가겠다.
1. 상대방의 의견을 젠틀하게 반대할 때
I was thinking more along the lines of ~
- I wouldn’t actually call it a party. It’s more along the lines of a dinner in celebration of my birthday. (Smoke)
- When I mentioned a snack, I was thinking more along the lines of a cheese and crackers kind of thing (Misery)
- I was thinking more along the lines of an… of an… of an engagement. (Wedding Crasher)
- I was thinking more along the lines of slitting Heather Duke’s wrists open and making it look like a suicide. (Heathers)
[Comments] 살면서 반대해야할 경우가 얼마나 많은가? 상대를 offend하지 않고 반대하는 방법을 몰라서, 말문이 막힌 적이있다면 이 표현은 꼭 외우도록 하자. 보다시피 “(was thinking) more along the lines of + < 나의의견> “의 구조를 가지고 있다. 통째로 외워라.
2. 길게 설명하는 것보다, 대화체나 인용구를 사용하여 요약하는 것이 더 편할 때
His face looked like something along the lines of “I see ugly people”
- We see various recipes torn out from women’s magazines along the lines of “101 Ways to Cook Pork.” (Thelma & Louise)
- Listen, we’re going to run something along the lines of, “A trick was pulled, and some very clever hackers managed to create an illusion.”(Shattered Glass)
- I always said something along the lines of, “I must advise you, I am stamped with an invisible warning. I will not commit. I will never marry.” (Alfie)
- Something along the lines of: “I cut so I could donate a kidney.” (Last Action Hero)
[Comments] 미국사람들은 무언가 설명할 때 소위 연극화시켜서 말하는 것을 좋아한다. 이 표현 역시 그런 문화 때문에 쓰이는 것 같다. “something along the lines of <인용구> “의 구조를 가지고 있다. 밑 비디오 참고!
3. 맞장구 쳐주면서 대화에 참여할 때
Along those lines, maybe we can also ..
- A: I will not put my men at a disadvantage. B: Funny, I was thinking along those lines. (Pirates of the Caribbean)
- A: And what we eat is really our chemotherapy three times a day. B: Right. And along those lines, for people who might have risk factors for cancer, would you recommend…? (TED)
[Comments] “Along those lines,”란 표현으로 맞장구로 치면서 자신의 의견을 말하거나 질문을 던지는 이 패턴은 토론할 때 상당히 자주 쓰인다.
4. “~ 와 비슷한 것”을 말할 때
- He’s like a mass of iron or something along those lines. (One Piece Anime Series)
- A: Are you gonna say anything? B: Such as? A: Such as, “I’m so sorry to do this to you on the eve of your announcement,”something along those lines (In Justice)
[Comments] 한국어로는 “~대충 그런 것”이라고 생각하면 되겠다.
[Video] – 실제로 얼마나 많이 쓰이고 / 어떻게 쓰이는지 보라
미국사람들이 자주쓰는 비유중에 “낮게 걸려있는 열매”(low hanging fruit) 라는 재미있는 표현이 있다.
말그대로 낮게 걸려있어서, 따기 쉬운, 즉 별로 노력이나 자원 없이 얻을수 있는 것을 의미할때 쓰는 표현이다.
Low-hanging fruit :
- [Definition]: Easily obtained gains; what can be obtained by readily available means
- Efficiency in end-use electricity and end-use of all energy is the low-hanging fruit. Efficiency and conservation: it’s not a cost; it’s a profit.
- The stagnationist view is that ideas get used up,like low-hanging fruit,but the reality is that each innovation…
- Carefree soul, tasting all the low-hanging fruit life has to offer, a lot less complicated, a lot more fun. (Weeds)
- Yeah, well, you know, it’s super low-hanging fruit. Someone’s going to do it. (Arrested Development)
- I can’t blame you for plucking that low-hanging fruit, but the time has come for you to right that wrong. (Justified)
- I know all the low-hanging fruit has been plucked. What’s next? (Damages)
- In Fixing the Economy, China Aims for Low-Hanging Fruit (NYT)
- So there’s a lot of what I’ll call “unpicked low-hanging fruit” in this area. (Economist)
- It seems that China remains the biggest prize in the luxury industry, but the low-hanging fruit is gone. Luxury firms must now venture beyond the coastal cities where they have made easy fortunes. (Economist)
- the first step is listening. the second is honesty, the third is action. Hit the low hanging fruit 1st for momentum.
- diversify your diet: no person should subsist on low-hanging fruit alone
보통 캠페인이나 포스터들을 보면 아이들이 많이 나온다.
포스터에 나오는 아동들은 표정이나 제스쳐가 강렬해서, 무엇을 상징하는 경우가 많은데, 이처럼 “어떤 사실이나 의미를 대표적으로 나타내주는 사람 또는 사물”을 가리켜 poster child라고 한다.
- [Definition]Fig. someone who is a classic example of a state or type of person.
- She is a poster child for soccer moms.
[Video] – 비디오를 보면 확실하게 이해할수 있다.
- But the product in the blue box in the center is my poster child.
- Supposedly I’m the poster child for alumni making the world a better place.
- I’m not who you want to be your poster girl.
- He’s the poster child for lead paint chip eaters! (Ace Ventura)
- She’s like a goddamn poster child for high school. (Sugar and Spice)
- Yeah, I really was… until I became the poster child for wounded women everywhere. (Sex and the City)
- You’re the poster child for the DSM III. (American Splendor)
- he’s the poster child for the next millennium. (Devil’s Advocate)
- Chicago is a poster child for urban triage planning, which the new urbanism advocates.
- Happy birthday to the Street Fighter poster child: Ryu turns 50 today.
“컴퓨터가 제대로 작동하지 않습니다” 를 뭐라고 할까?
My computer is not working well
이라고 말할수 있겠다.
하지만 한국어로도 “이 컴퓨터가 말을 안듣네...” 라고 표현할 수 있듯이, 좀더 감정을 담아 표현할수 없을까?
영어에도 비슷한 표현이 있다.
My computer is acting up…@#$@#$@#$
[Definition] : [for a thing or a person] to behave badly.
[Korean] : (사람이) 말을 안 듣다, 버릇없이 굴다 2. (무엇이) 말을 안 듣다[제 기능을 못하다]
- This car is acting up again.
- My computer began acting up and I lost a whole day’s work.
- Sometimes kids act up because they just want attention.
- Is your foot acting up again? (Box)
- My ankIe sure is acting up. -I gotta get home. ( The Good Girl)
- He’s acting up at home. He won’t eat his vegetables. (17 Again)
- Mr. Miller, Adam is acting up so badly in the audience. He’s calling attention to himself… …shouting, throwing his hands in the air (An Evening With Kevin Smith)
- Let me guess: the car’s acting up again (The Listener)
- Is your arthritis acting up, and you can’t clap your hands? (Shake It Up)
- when kids are acting up and the mom says “wait till your dad gets home” and they immediately act right.. i cant wait to be that dad.
act up, to become active라는 의미로 쓰이는데, 보통 알레르기가 발동되었을 때 쓰인다.
- Her allergies acted up when she went hiking in the woods.
- Allergies is acting up this morning.
- 캐서린이 너한테 정확하게 뭐라고 했는데?
- 스캇이 한 말 그대로 말해봐바…
저렇게 줄 친 의미로 쓰이는 즉 “글자 그대로”를 영어로 어떻게 표현할까?
word by word 라고 할까..? 아니면 word for word 라고 할까?
Word for Word
- [Definition] in the exact words; verbatim.
- [KOREAN Definition] 정확히 말한[글자] 그대로
- I have conveyed his request word for word.
- I know you need this to succeed as much as I do, but it’s only gonna do that if you print it word for word.
[From Movies & TV shows]
- You gotta tell her word for word. (Ghost)
- That’s it. “The Teacher will never leave this room alive.” Word for word. (The Interpreter)
- Word for word, what did you say to Georgie exactly? (Spanglish)
- Thank you so much for clarifying my point by repeating it word for word. (Scrubs)
- But since you seem unable to grasp these principles… …I’m forced to conclude I must repeat this lesson tomorrow,word for word. (Gods and Generals)
- Why does someone block you and then tweet the EXACT, word for word tweet that you did? Does that make any sense?
- What movie can you quote word for word? ? Frozen, mean girls and the grinch that stole christmas.
많은 사람들이 이 표현을 “word by word”라고 잘못쓰는 것을 생각보다 자주보았다.
하지만 word by word는 “천천히 한글자씩” (one word at a time) 이란 뜻으로 전혀 다른 의미를 가지고 있다.
- We examined the contract word by word to make sure everything was the way we wanted.
- We compared the stories word by word to see what made them different.